Thursday, January 31, 2013

Moving Into The Future


I know how easy it is to get stuck in a rut and to slip into a comfortable, safe place in life. We look at our accomplishments at that point with a variety of emotions. Those filled with pride of what we've accomplished, knowing we've done our best, or those filled with a bit of regret,  disappointed at where the road has led us.  

We've all had places where we've felt the ups and downs, the success and the emptiness, the whirlwind of activity and the lethargic feeling of a load too heavy. We've all crumbled under the weight of too much stress, unexpected grief, and lingering pain. We've all attacked a goal, or problem, or trial with all of our might, exhaling when we reached the finish line. We've all lived a part of our life, to the best and the worst of our ability. We've all lived......Life......

So what is it that seems to keep some of us running the race, while others reach a point in life, then settle in to the golden years of complacency. Why is it that some are driven everyday to live life to the fullest, while others live everyday, going through the motions. I've been in both places of the spectrum, exhilarated at times and defeated at times. I've had to take a deeper look at what was different in my life, in both circumstances.

I've learned that when I become complacent, I've turned my view to the past, it's accomplishments, it's mountain tops and it's successes. I bask in the glory of what was and rely upon it to feed my self worth. I've found that only when I look to the future, not only setting goals, but actually setting them into motion, do I become filled with a new energy and purpose. The fires of my passion seem to be reignited and the flames soar to new heights.

I remember a conversation I had with a man about 35 years ago. He said to succeed you have to stay hungry. He also had me imagine standing at the edge of a cliff. I said, what now? Then he pushed me off of that cliff.

Looking at the past can be a great learning tool, as well as give us a sense of accomplishment. But moving into the future, with our eyes, our mind and our actions, is what it takes to keep that life moving. It's not enough to set goals for the future, we have to act on them. We have to hunger for them. We have to dream big and act, setting things in motion. If we just dream......well.....we dream. We may not accomplish everything, but if we don't act, we won't accomplish anything.


and the Journey Continues.......



2 comments:

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

"I've found that only when I look to the future, not only setting goals, but actually setting them into motion, do I become filled with a new energy and purpose. The fires of my passion seem to be reignited and the flames soar to new heights."

Me too my friend, me too...
We have to "look to the future."

Yesterday, good...bad...or indifferent...it just that...Yesterday!

"Great Post. It had me looking "back" for a moment."

Love for a great day!
China

WynnSong said...

Thanks China. It's interesting that we learn this, but so often forget. I'm back to working toward the future....which is a good thing....