Tuesday, November 22, 2011

East Coast Adventure: Part 4, Waking Up In NYC

Morning came way too early as I crawled....yes crawled out of bed.  My day of running caught up with me but my excitement had not swayed.  As I was getting ready to leave the B&B for breakfast, the manager there asked if I made it to some of the places he recommended.  With so much to do I hadn't made his to do list.
Uh oh....was I in for a surprise.  He asked if I had a few minutes and we were off and running. He had more energy than Carters Got Pills.  Heading off down the street, I followed like Festus, limping away...yep showing my age.


We went to so many places in the blocks around and he had a complete knowledge of the history of the area, sharing everywhere we went.  I saw some of the hidden, secluded treasures that I wouldn't have found by myself.  His few minutes of my time took us again for miles and miles and even with the sore legs and broken toe, it was so worth it.  We went in the Chelsea Market filled with old shops, mementos from the old rail track, a whole in the wall cut through from one building to the next, a water fall from an old water drainage pipe and on and on.




He showed me where the boats docked, including the special place where the Titanic was to have docked.


                      Boat Dock
      Arch Way where the Titanic was to dock

After all the running, he did finally send me to a place to eat breakfast but not just any place. What looked like a small Greasy Spoon, had one of the most famous chefs, according to him, in the world before he died, way better than Julia Childs and others. It had visitors including so many stars through the years, presidents, the queen of England and on and on. So sitting there eating my breakfast and having the best cup of coffee I've ever had, I became a part of that history.



After breakfast, I was invited to visit a friend in Manhattan and go to a concert that night and the NYC Marathon that Sunday but I had been concerned about Keith in Pennsylvania and was unable to get a hold of him.  After two stays in the hospital the week before from the cancer,  I decided to head that way.  There were still many wonders ahead for me in NYC but that would come at another time.

I turned the GPS to Harrisburg PA and was again amazed at the wonders of NYC as I was leaving.  The road took me through the Holland Tunnel, one thing I wasn't sure about but it was a unique experience and one I'm glad I had the chance to to travel through.  On the other side was New Jersey.  As I gassed up before I headed out, I looked back and there was the Empire State Building looming in the distance, as if to say...Thanks For the Visit....Hope You Enjoyed Your Stay....Please Come Again.....
And I will one day.....




So the adventure continued to Harrisburg and beyond.....Part 5...

No comments: