Monday, March 5, 2012

30 Days.....






While clicking on Google + this week, I came across a video by Matt Cutts, talking about trying something new for 30 days.The concept was simple and was described in the video in just over 3 minutes, but gave me a lot of food for thought. Here's the link just in case you want to hear it from him.....

http://www.ted.com/talks/matt_cutts_try_something_new_for_30_days.html

The premise was to take 30 days, working on one thing, either breaking a habit, or making one change in your life every day for a month. To write a book, or take a photo everyday, the choice is yours.  In 30 days, your mind will have had time to break a habit, or add a positive influence in your life.....or maybe not......
But taking each day working on one particular thing will have a way of slowing down time for that month, and the next, and the next.  Months that had been rushing by, leaving us wondering where the time went, began to have more meaning, slow down, and add more purpose to our life.....as Matt Cutts describes.

So I decided to try. I actually tried to do two changes but found one was neglected so I chose one......Patience.  Yep....Patience while driving, while standing in line at the check out counter, while walking through a busy store....all of those places where I know my patience needs a lot of improvement.  

I'm one of those people that always seems to be in a hurry, full speed ahead, then when I get there, I wonder what the rush was and wonder why I feel so worn out. Why didn't I just take my time getting there, enjoying the wonders of the world around me, and allow the day to be special, not one that just flew by in a flash. Why did I feel the need to be cold and critical to others, because I was in a hurry.  Why did I choose anger and frustration instead the warmth and joy of the day.

So my first 30 days seem to be changing a bad habit for the good.  Slowing my life down, making me aware of those special moments that would have sped by, without ever knowing what it was like to savor that moment in time. Hopefully when the I'm done with this first challenge, it will last, it will become a positive part of my life, and then I can take the next challenge, the next 30 days.

In a fast paced world where we have lost the gift of smelling the roses, observing the uniqueness of those around us, or extending a word of compassion and hope because we were in a hurry to get to no where......those simple words from Matt Cutts could be just what it takes to make a major impact in our lives.

I'm working on mine........

as the Journey Continues.......




3 comments:

Shannon said...

Intriguing, I'm fairly patient, but I could be a bit more tolerant of those who aren't. :) I'm going to read that article. Have a wonderful week!

and thanks!

Moanerplicity said...

Hmmm... Live & learn. You've never struck me as the impatient type, Wynn. Though, you're allowed to be as its a very HUMAN trait. However, I'm glad this 30 day thing is working out for you. Congrats! It's probably helped to control your BP as well.

A LOT can be accomplished in 30 days... & old habits can indeed be broken in that amount of time. Personally, it's worked for me as I quit smoking. It's now been 15 MONTHS! And so the journey continues.


One.

WynnSong said...

One of my personality traits I inherited from my Mom...My patience level with drivers (yep, I'm a good candidate for road rage)and certain people in store lines does get my Goose Going, so to speak. It does take effort on my part to keep it calm. Hopefully this will start coming more natural as I make the effort daily to change this.
Congrats on the 15 months Lin....doing good man.....