Monday, April 28, 2014

Expectations



We have expectations
Maybe more than we should
We try not to ask too much
After all, they are family and friends

But they are our expectations
Guess we expected too much
Just simple request
To stay in touch, to reach out or just remember

Our view of the world
Seems to reach only so far
Inside our boundaries
Our expectations

Family, friends
Remembered for a moment
Then lost by a distraction
Blocked and forgotten

Sometimes we expect too much
Sometimes we grow tired
Weary of the solidarity
Feeling like no one cares.

Asking why do we try
Why do we keep expecting
Only to be disappointed
Over and over again

Sometimes the heart breaks
Wondering why there is no care
No one listening to simple request
Forgetting we are here

So we stop expecting
We stop trying to care
We stop reaching out to touch
When there is no one there, reaching back

Don't forget the weary, the lonely
Don't forget the family, the friends
Broaden our boundaries so they encompass more
Let their expectations become a part of who we are

2 comments:

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

So very interesting that you write about this very thing. I was talking with Jesus today while I was packing and He has shown me over time that my misplaced expectations were the reasons why I struggled so much in my past.
Clarity and Wisdom: #Priceless

w/love
china

WynnSong said...

Yep, I've learned that the only expectations I should have is ones that include God and me....