Thursday, May 17, 2012

One Pull Up At A Time





It's been a challenge getting my strength and endurance back after the damage done to it over the last few years.  Working with a trainer has encouraged me, but the actual process.....Hmmmmmm......

I went to the pull up bar this last week and was able to do ONE pull up.  Wow.....I realized just how bad of shape my body was in.  When I was a kid in school, I was the pull up king. I could do pull ups, sit ups and push ups like no one else and I was a skinny little kid with not much muscle at all.

It's amazing how age, too much stress and the side effects of chemo can affect the human body.  I remember my parents struggled physically the last few years with their bodies.  Their minds told them they could do anything, but their bodies were just worn out. 

My mind struggles with the cloudy depths of depression at times, but on a clear day, I see a few rays of sunlight. I still feel like a young man at times, but other times, feel old and worn out.. As I struggled to complete that one pull up, I told myself soon, I'll make it two. As I write different blog entries, it gives me a chance to clear a bit of the clouds and see a ray off light.

I've learned that therapy comes in all shapes, sizes and forms. As long as we keep pushing through the turmoil and the pain, we can improve our quality of life, but we have to keep on keeping on.  We have to remember our humanity but keep ourselves open to the possibilities. We have to learn to take it one day, one moment, one step at a time.

So today, I take a few minutes to write. Tomorrow, I'll try to make it two pull ups. I'll continue to push others into a positive outlook to help my own outlook.  I may not always succeed, but I know I won't succeed unless I take it..........

One Pull Up At A Time


and the Journey Continues.....




No comments: