Friday, March 8, 2013

Arrogance


Driving down the road this week, I caught myself angry and frustrated at the drivers around me. They were shooting in and out and yep, going the speed limit. My impatience and frustration began to grow and my anger was heating up.

I've been working on having more patience when I drive, but it's been a slow process. When I feel the anger stirring, I take a few deep breaths and slow down some. But today, it finally hit me.

My frustration wasn't coming from those around me, it was coming from my own arrogance. Yep, when I'm driving, I expect everyone to get out of my way because I'm on a mission. This is my trip, my road and you need to move it..

Wow, what an epiphany. We all get frustrated at drivers that don't use their signals, or talk or text and drive. But I finally realized that this was something deeper........My Arrogance.

We've all met people who come across as arrogant. They seem to put themselves upon a mighty pedestal, high above the rest of us. In the music industry, they are called the Egos. Too many times we see artist call themselves stars or divas, forgetting that their talents are a gift and a blessing, forgetting what it's like to be humble. Sometimes we see preachers of large congregations begin to put their name on everything above the church, boasting their reflection on how they got this church where it is today, forgetting their humble service to God. Sometimes we see those who are wealthy, thinking they are in a higher class, forgetting that money is only money, and the Lord gives and He takes away.

But arrogance doesn't only apply to those who have their heads in the clouds. Those of us who find ourselves inpatient, standing in line at the check out counter, driving in traffic, or eating at a restaurant, expecting to have things done now, can be guilty as well. We start letting in the notion that the world revolves around us. Before we know it, arrogance begins to show it's ugly head.

We've been taught that patience is a virtue and that if we humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord, He will lift us up, but too many times we lift ourselves up instead.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a good and positive outlook on life and our self worth. I'm saying we have to keep it in balance. Balance seems to be one of the key elements of life and one of the hardest things to accomplish.

So for me and my epiphany, I now have a better understanding of those times when the anger and frustration creeps up on me. I need to take a moment to look around, to see that the rush of the situation isn't as urgent as I think it is. I need to be aware of the ones around me and realize in every situation, there is a lesson learned. I need to let go of my Arrogance......and humble myself.....and turn that moment of anger into joy.


and the Journey Continues......

4 comments:

Moanerplicity said...

This was a very deep epiphany, my friend. I think arrogance can & does manifest in so many ways. Sometimes it rears up on us even when we are unaware of it. My latest discovery of arrogance within is my impatience at others getting older, moving/thinking slower around me. How arrogant to think that this fate won't someday befall me also (should I have the good fortune of growing any older)!

Maybe arrogance, once recognized, serves to make us better, once we take those valued lessons from it.

*ponders*

One.

WynnSong said...

I agree Lin. Too bad it takes many of us, like me, so long to recognize it.

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Wow, what an epiphany. We all get frustrated at drivers that don't use their signals, or talk or text and drive. But I finally realized that this was something deeper........My Arrogance.

That statement above could very well be me. I text when I shouldn't and I forget to use my turn signal when changing lanes, etc...

THANK you for calling it what it is!

Be blessed and be as transparent as you have been. We are all a work in progress and it surely takes one to know one.

Love,
China

WynnSong said...

Thanks China,
We live and learn.....